Saturday, July 18, 2009

Some art


I did this wall hanging for a lady recently, and although I found it challenging (mostly on the nerves) I found it SO rewarding as well.

I have a passion for preserving memories - though it doesn't show lately - and I love art, especially paper art, and most especially on walls... I know I talk about it alot, but still I was surprised when I got a call from a 'friend of a friend' asking me to help her get some pictures into a frame.

After having a chat about the people and places involved, I put together this piece. It's about 20x30" inside the frame and made from lots of different materials - from Stampin' Up! and Creative Memories papers to CM clear title stickers, Primas, lots of brads and even some Maya Road chipboard. The frame is from Ikea, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that even with all the dimensional materials the whole thing fit under the glass beautifully. I did add some Stampin' dimensionals around the edges, under the glass, to reduce the pressure a little, but I don't know if I needed them really. I do think it's a little busy, and had I it to do over, I would have done the 'quilt' a little more monochromatic - but it was nice to fit in all the little 'secret' details that speak to the personality of the family in the photos. I think of it like a crazy quilt (and if you saw the little frog charm and wee nuts and bolts...).

Here are some closer-ups of the 'quilt' I did under the photos. I machine-stitched the egdes with a subtle zig zag onto the background, which is a very nice bit of linen paper in ivory.

I hope you like it - and I hope the family who received it likes it!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think this came out lovely and I love the paper quilting you did underneath the photos. Great job!

Cindy Van Sluys said...

What a lovely idea and so beautifuly done! Great colors together, love the quilt look! YOu gave me a great idea for my Mom for Christmas!

XO
Cindy

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Made by You Monday at Skip to My Lou